CREATE scalable and optimized products and systems as the next Embedded Software Engineer sought by a leading UK security and safety solutions provider. The role is within the Research and Development department with the primary focus of executing the full lifecycle of embedded software development. The goal is to create scalable and optimized products/systems according to specific customer and/or company requirements. The ideal candidate should hold a degree in Electronic Engineering/Computer Engineering, have 4 years of experience in a similar role with hands-on development and troubleshooting on embedded targets. You also need a solid understanding and experience with I2C, SPI, I2S, UART, Flash RAMs, LCDs, SD Cards and experience with firmware development, proven experience in C or embedded C derivative language development for environments 8, 16 and 32 bit embedded systems and knowledge of assembly.
- Design and implement software for embedded devices and systems, from requirements to production and commercial deployment.
- Design, develop, code, test and debug system software.
- Analyze and improve the efficiency, stability and scalability of system resources.
- Participate and/or lead code design review sessions.
- Participate in the design and reliability testing of new products.
- Integrate and validate new product designs.
- Supports software quality assurance and optimizes I/O performance.
- Provide post-production support.
- Interface with hardware design and development.
- Evaluate third-party and open-source software.
- Maintain the design throughout the product life cycle.
- Create test procedures for product certification and volume production.
- Liaise with external technology partners.
- Provide product and system technical support to sales, manufacturing, suppliers, technology partners, customers, etc.
- Degree in Electronic Engineering, OR BSc in Electronic Engineering OR BSc in Computer Engineering.
- 4 years of software engineering experience.
- Experience in hands-on development and troubleshooting on embedded targets.
- Firmware development, proven experience in C or embedded C derivative language development for 8, 16 and 32 bit embedded environments and knowledge of assembly.
- Proven experience in designing embedded systems with preemptive and multitasking real-time operating systems.
- Familiarity with software configuration management tools, defect tracking tools, and peer review.
- Solid understanding and experience with I2C, SPI, I2S, UART, Flash RAM, LCD, SD cards.
- Experience with hotplug, TCP, HTTPS drivers, video formats like MJPEG, H264.
- Experience with Linux / Android / RTOS.
- Multi-core, interrupt drive complex system experience.
- Experience with ARM microprocessors.
- Extensive experience with software engineering processes and tools.
- Experience developing software for embedded or mobile applications with limited computing resources.
- Experience and comfort with lab tools such as debuggers, logic analyzers and oscilloscopes.
- Strong documentation and writing skills.
- Experience in the development of iOT/telematics solutions.
- Programming experience on STMicroelectronics micro and/or Mediatek.
- Adequate knowledge of reading schematics and component data sheets.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Passion, enthusiasm.
- Desire to learn.
- Ability to work in a team or independently.
Although we would really like to respond to every application, if you are not contacted for this position within 10 working days, please consider your application unsuccessful.
When applying for a job, make sure you meet the minimum job requirements. OnlySouth African citizens will be considered for this role. If you are not at the stated location of any of the jobs, please note your relocation plans in all job applications and correspondence. Please email a word copy of your CV to [Email Address Removed] and mention the reference numbers of the works. We have a job listing on [URL Removed] Datafin IT Recruitment – Jobs in Cape Town.
Find out more/Apply to this position