The senior software developers are part of a development team that builds the scientific data processors for the MeerKAT, MeerKAT Extension and Square Kilometer (SKA) telescopes. Senior software developers research, analyze and evaluate requirements for existing or new software applications and operating systems, and design, develop, test and maintain software solutions to meet these requirements. They can be expected to guide and work with more junior team members to complete their tasks.
- Develop, test and maintain the SDP system and its components Participate in the documentation and refinement of system requirements, design and implementation solutions Research, innovation and continuous development of skills and knowledge SDP system quality assurance and control Support deployment of versions and patches
- Support SDP compute infrastructure requirements Contact with other areas of the organization to develop new / improved processes and support systems
- Participate in project management and systems engineering activities
- Mentoring, development and support for new members
- Baccalaureate / Advanced diploma / NQF 7
- / B
- / B
- or more in computer engineering, computer science or electrical engineering or a related field
- 7 years of experience, in a combination of continuing education (postgraduate) and professional experience
- Experience in software and systems development in Python or other imperative languages ââExperience in systems analysis and engineering Experience working with formal project management and agile practices and methods
- security, networking, identity and access management, file management systems, large scale computing and storage, etc.
- Experience in the integration and configuration of various technologies and software infrastructures Experience in technological research, technological development and maturation towards production readiness
- Knowledge, experience or specialization in certain computer concepts such as computer theory, data science, architecture, algorithms and models, parallel computing, optimization of computer systems, etc.
A graduate degree or equivalent qualification in computer engineering, computer science, electrical engineering or related fields Demonstrated knowledge, expertise, specialization or thought leadership in the field and technology in computer science, systems design, architecture or implementation implemented. This can be demonstrated by certification, higher research-oriented qualifications or a record of delivering dynamic solutions, leading organization or contribution to the technology or innovation community Ability to effectively transfer knowledge and skills to other team members Ability to coach, guide and further develop the junior team A clear and methodical approach to problem solving High attention to detail, excellent organizational skills Good written and verbal communication skills The website of the NRF provides more details on the initiatives and activities
Applicants must submit a full CV by registering and applying online through the NRF Recruitment and Selection Portal.
Applications must be accompanied by a cover letter indicating the suitability of the candidates for the post.
The names and contact details of at least three reference persons must be provided.
- Skills in the applied field of the post
- Knowledge to be relevant
- Responsible in the performance of duties
About the employer:
The National Research Foundation (NRF) supports and promotes research and human capital development through funding, providing national research facilities and scientific outreach platforms and programs to the wider community in all fields of science and technology, including natural sciences, engineering, social sciences and humanities.
The South African Radio Astronomical Observatory (SARAO) spearheads South Africa’s activities under the Square Kilometer Array radio telescope, commonly referred to as SKA, in the fields of engineering, science and research. construction. SARAO is a national facility managed by the National Research Foundation and integrates radio astronomy instruments and programs such as the MeerKAT and KAT-7 telescopes in the Karoo, the Hartebeesthoek Radio Astronomical Observatory (HartRAO) in Gauteng, the interferometry at very Long African Base (AVN)) in nine African countries as well as associated human capital development and marketing efforts.