Our client is the largest provider of software development training in Southern Africa and one of the largest in the world. As one of the top education tech startups in EMEA with headquarters in Cape Town and London, they help learners from over 40 countries transform into fulfilling tech careers. They are dedicated to closing the global tech skills gap and we do this by integrating tech education with human mentorship and expert code review, reducing the cost of accessing tech careers.
ABOUT THE RLE
As Chief Software Engineer, you will be responsible for leading our engineering team and initiating and executing all aspects of our bespoke software platforms including, but not limited to:
- Our student portal
- Our mentor portals
- Our placement portal
- Our website and payment gateways
- Our registration flows
- Our data analysis platforms
Our tech stack consists mostly of Python, Django, AWS (EC2, RDS, S3, Lambda, SQS, SNS, CloudWatch, Route53), Postgres, and a bit of Ubuntu.
To excel in this role, you must be a creative problem solver, have advanced technical skills, high standards, and the ability to communicate effectively with multiple stakeholders.
Depending on the candidate’s preference, this work can be entirely remote.
- Lead the engineering team in the launch and execution of all aspects of our software platforms
- Lead the technical implementation of projects while delegating and collaborating effectively with other members of the engineering team
- Coach and supervise the teams of developers
- Plan sprint cycles and timelines in any framework that works for you and the specific team you are working with
- Communicate with technicians through clear and readable code and documentation, as well as communicate with non-technical people and translate their requirements into achievable milestones and smaller goals
- 5+ years of software development experience as a developer
- Experience with Python, Django, Postgres and AWS
- Experience leading a cross-functional team of engineers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Thrives in a rapidly changing environment and able to adapt to or upstream from external changes
- 1+ years of managing or supervising a team of developers
- Prior technology start-up experience in a fast-growing and high-growth environment
Flexible and Remote Work: We are an organization tailored to the needs of remote users and offer flexible working options.
Generous annual leave, life and medical benefits coverage: We offer 19 days of annual leave as part of our leave policy as well as two half-days which can be taken at your discretion. We also provide health insurance / medical aid contribution and group life coverage for our team.
Join the heart of tech in Africa, the United States and Europe: you will work with the best of the best in edtech training and developers. Join one of the most ambitious and successful tech companies in the space, with a founding team drawing experience from companies like Google, Amazon, GetSmarter / 2U, and Yoco.
Life-Changing Work: Solve real problems that make education and tech careers accessible to those who need them most – you are allowed to brag about it.